It used to be that fall colors were red and orange, but since 1985 October is pink for Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Founded in 1985 by the American Cancer Society, Breast Cancer Awareness Month and pink ribbons are now synonymous with the month of October. In fact, many people (including breast cancer survivors) refer to the month as “Pinktober.”
For many, Breast Cancer Awareness Month is about celebrating strength and survival. For others, it is about advocacy and a push to educate people about the realities of breast cancer, particularly metastatic breast cancer. For researchers, “Pinktober” is about the many donations that help fund research to provide even more insight and treatments.
To many medical professionals, it is a month to push for more education, breast exams and early diagnosis. And of course, for millions it is a special month to bond in the memory of those lost from breast cancer or still fighting it today.
How Can You Promote Breast Cancer Awareness this Month and Year Round?
- Spread the news: mammograms save lives. Remind your loved ones to get regular mammograms. These breast screenings detect issues early, when they’re easiest to treat. According to the American Cancer Society, women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year, while those 55 and older can switch to every 2 years or continue yearly screenings. Women at higher risk of breast cancer should start getting mammograms before age 45
- Raise awareness about risk factors. Be in the know. According to the American Cancer Society, risk factors that increase your chances of breast cancer include obesity, lack of physical activity, drinking alcohol, family history of breast cancer, hormone therapy after menopause and the presence of other breast conditions.
- Share survivor stories. Honor and tell the stories of women who have fought and survived breast cancer. Have you or a family member fought this disease? Inspire others by writing a column in your local newspaper, sharing inspiring stories on Facebook or other social platforms.
- Volunteer, donate or take part in national, regional and local fundraising events! These events raise money and awareness in the fight against breast cancer.
- Even small actions help. Post and share information about breast cancer and Breast Cancer Awareness Month on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- And most importantly…Be there. Give unending love and support to friends and family members living with breast cancer. And not just this month, but every day of the year.
AZCCC is Proud to Partner with Comprehensive Breast Center of Arizona
In partnership with the Comprehensive Breast Center or Arizona, our physicians include fellowship trained breast surgeons and clinicians who enjoy local and national prominence for their advanced surgical skills and knowledge.
Our physicians are innovators in the community for their use of brachy therapy techniques and are nationally and internationally recognized in the academic world for their contributions to research and professional education. Our approach to breast surgery is as unique as our patients. Surgeons at the Comprehensive Breast Center of Arizona weigh multiple options before providing recommendations regarding a customized treatment plan.
Our practice uses innovative and advanced tissue sparing surgical techniques that allow us to treat the cancer while maximizing the aesthetic appearance of the breast most optimally. The Comprehensive Breast Center of Arizona was among the first to offer patients nipple sparing mastectomies and oncoplastic surgery. Regardless of a specific treatment plan, our physicians guide and support our patients though every step or their journey.
Please click here to go to our Comprehensive Breast Center of Arizona site to learn more about our breast surgeons.
AZCCC is the leading Arizona Cancer Treatment Center
Arizona Center for Cancer Care provides multi-specialty treatment to more than 30,000 cancer patients across the Valley and understands the importance of serving the entire family. Arizona Center for Cancer Care’s mission is to provide the highest quality cancer treatment in Arizona. At AZCCC, patients can depend on the very best doctors and staffs for cancer care. They are a cancer center without walls with services stretching across the Valley and beyond.
Arizona Center for Cancer Care is here for you and for your family. For more info please go to https://arizonaccc.com/contact-us/